Thursday, August 06, 2009

Odds and ends

BOSTON -- There was a big old Oxford comma in the lede graf of the top story in today's local blat, and the world did not end. Just thought you'd like to know.

I thought I had a fairly good handle in derogatory newsroom intergroup terms ("glassholes," "toy department" and the like), but I learned a new one today: "Photocracy." Nice.

And if you're a newcomer or otherwise haven't yet indulged, please consider completing the grammar survey. The official invitation screen is here.

2 Comments:

Blogger John Cowan said...

You mean my parents don't have to be Marilyn Monroe and God after all, when it comes time to print my obit? Excellent!

Maybe I'll print some bumper stickers that say "USE THE OXFORD COMMA: CLEAR, UNAMBIGUOUS, AND EASY TO READ".

6:41 PM, August 06, 2009  
Anonymous Michael said...

Photocracy - nice. I like that one, if only because it has applied to all five newspapers (large and small) where I have worked. What is it about photo "editors" that gives them such an ego trip?

11:02 PM, August 06, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home