Sunday, February 20, 2011

Homer nods

Should we start a pool on how long it takes for the correction to appear?

I have worked in a half-dozen countries since the late 1990s, including Lebanon, Gaza in Israel, Pakistan, Turkey and Russia. In none of these places was I dragged off and raped, but I have encountered abuse in many of them. The assaults usually took place in crowds, where I was pinned in place by men.

The intended reference may have been to Israel and Gaza, or to Gaza, but I doubt it was to "Gaza in Israel," because there is no such place. And if we can't rely on our rare bastions of original international reporting (of which I'd put the Times at the top among US dailies) to keep basic distinctions like that straight, where are we supposed to look?

If I were guessing, I'd say this one was inserted by an editor; it isn't the sort of mistake people who go back and forth between those entities are likely to make. It's too bad, because it mars a sobering and relevant piece of reportage that helps give the lie to the "hurr hurr she ASKED for it" that's been circulating in some quarters. I'm not always fond of "Due to an editing error..." corrections, but if that's what happened here, let's have it.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous thomas said...

There's a correction, but not the right one (they also got Lara Logan's name wrong on a photo).

2:55 PM, February 21, 2011  

Post a Comment

<< Home